Choosing a Recruitment Agency
Choosing a Recruitment Agency
Getting it right when choosing a Recruitment Agency can mean the difference between great returns and hiring your ‘A’ team or bleeding cash as a result of a poor hire experience.
So – do you need an agency and if so, how do you select the right Recruitment Consultant for your business?
There are some things to consider before you can answer these questions.
- What contribution do your staff make to the success of your business?
- How Complex is the job – eg is it an engineering role?
- What is your in-house recruitment capability?
- Staff turnover rate.
- Do you have the time to carry out a thorough recruitment drive?
- Who has access to the type and quality of people you are looking for?
- What is the impact on your business of an unfilled vacancy?
- How hard is it to find good talent in your industry?
- What are your future recruitment needs likely to be?
You should also consider seasonal trading impacts, market demand for talent and potential internal reorganization, as these factors may impact on your need for an external service provider too.
One inescapable fact of today’s employment market is that the great talent you are looking is, more often than not, already gainfully employed and the only way to access the large proportion of this talent pool is through networking.
This is why using the right recruitment agency can add great value to your business.
So, the first and most important question you need to answer is “Which Recruitment Consultancy has the best network of potential high quality candidates in your industry?”
Recruitment Agency Checklist
- The Agency’s particular specialisation should align with your business staffing needs.
- Review their client list if available and check for placements amongst your competitors – especially those companies you may have lost good staff to in the past.
- Longevity- look for evidence that the company has been in operation and with the same consistent focus for five years or more.
- Do the agency’s management and lead consultants haverelevant industry knowledge, coupled with sound experience in human resources management and recruitment?
- Check review sites to seehow the agency treats applicantsfor roles, as there are many stories about how badly applicants have been treated by a number of well known agencies or in-house recruitment teams.
- You will also need to call agency management to validate key aspects of theircommercial practicesandlevels of service;
- Check for pricing- consistently high or low charges may reflect their levels of service efficiency or effectiveness. Look for pricing alternatives where volume is greater or where annual contracts are available.
- Ensure key elements are provided within the recruitersoverall service package. i.e.
- Candidate Guarantees- ultimately the agency must successfully re-place a candidate within theguarantee period
- All agencies should completecandidate referee checksas partof providing a placement service. In addition, the more senior the role being recruited for the more extensive the checks that can be made including substantiatingacademic qualifications, credit history checks, police checks and career achievements
- Expectagency consultantsto make regular visits to your work locations to fully understand your business and theworkplace environment in which you operate. Not doing this may well result in inappropriate candidates being presented for interview
- In addition, no candidate presented by any agency should be referred without an agency representative meeting the applicantface to face, forscreeningpurposes.
- Finally,the ultimate testfor your working relationship with your recruitment agency /individual recruiter will be determined by the success of the rapport that can be established between you. The best possible service provider/client relationship will ensure thatyour success is as important to them as it is to you.
A good Recruitment Agency who understand you & your business and which has access to the right talent pool will ensure you continue to have a consistently high performing team and can make a major contribution towards the success of your business.